Did you know that radio stations, TV stations and newspapers often have online “Community Events Calendars”? Is your group holding a Black Dog adoption day? How about a special Black Dog and Cat fundraiser? Take advantage of this fast and free PR to drive people to your events and increase adoptions. Here’s how:
• Assign a volunteer to check the websites of your local radio stations, TV stations and newspapers.
• Ask them to compile a list of web addresses and submission deadlines.
• Community calendar submissions often follow a similar format with easy step-by-step instructions.
• Provide your volunteer with event details which they can easily save, copy and paste as many times as they need to when making submissions.
• Have them submit adoption or fundraising event information to all online calendars by the appropriate deadlines.
• There is typically a 24-48 hour waiting period to allow the webmaster to review your submission before it’s posted.
• Community Calendars also offer you an opportunity to highlight volunteer openings within your organization. Posting online may have the added benefit of attracting new volunteers to your organization another reason to try this new way to connect with your community.